But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Sunday, July 09, 2006

World Cup Post #11 - 7/9/06

Its hard to believe that after a month of constantly talking football that it all comes to an end today. We're about 15 minutes from kickoff. For the first time since I started watching the World Cup in 1994 I am watching the final alone at home. I'm not sure why. However, this country still does not put this sport on the pedestal it deserves and I can't just go into any bar or restaurant and find other people enjoying the game. So, I'm here in my orange Ikea chair with a beer in hand enjoying the biggest game in the sport that has stolen a piece of my soul - and its like heaven.

My prediction. Italy are the favorites. They've allowed one goal in the cup, an own goal versus the U.S., and the 11 goals they've tallied were scored by 10 different players. They are a complete team representing a country whose league is about to be crushed by a scandal. The Azzurri are capable of playing an absolutely stunning brand of football and deserve to be favorites. However, there is one factor that I don't think they can deal with: Zidane. One of the all-time great players has shown that he will take his team on his back and carry them to the country's 2nd title. He is a wizard. France has overcome early struggles and the best opponents to get here: Spain, Brazil, and Portugal. Italy has been helped to this final with weaker opponents (Australia, Ukraine, Germany) and officials that have bought their diving. France is battle-worn and ready to earn the title. Italy will not get the help this time. France will win 2-1 in overtime. Italy goal by Toni. France gets one early from Ribery and the winner in overtime from Henry (who gets a great assist from Zidane).

We will see. I'm glad my wedding is less than 3 weeks away because my summer would seem boring after this. Kickoff is here. Allez les bleus!!

3 comments:

Lauri said...

i was watching a repeat of the final soccer game last night and that head butt was narly. he's crazy!

Pete said...

gnarly has a "g" like gnarles barkley. Or "His Hands are all gnarled from the arthritis. Where's the final, sum it all up, World Cup post. And don't give us any of that Moving, working, getting married poopoo either.

Lauri said...

Hey Pete- I'm giving you "the look" right now! narly, gnarly, WHATEVER! Now what? I gotta spell check everything i type? hhmmm?