But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Monday, October 23, 2006

The Power of One

History is often defined by the works of individuals. Martin Luther's 95 theses, Gutenberg's printing press, Thomas Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence, Gandhi's fight for Indian independence, Martin Luther King and civil rights. Today, announce my attempt to change history.

Just to be sure, I am not putting myself at the same level as the gentlemen listed above. However, I will be taking risks. I may be rejected, cast-off, or made a pariah. People will think that I am weird or a leftist hippie. However, for my cause, I am willing to take these risks.

My cause? The Sacagawea dollar. I have been a fan of this currency since its entry into circulation and was disappointed in its failure. Not only would the widespread use of the dollar coin revolutionize the vending machine industry, but according to the Government Accountability Office, it would potentially save the country $500 million because they last longer than bills and would not need replacement as often.

Therefore, as of November 1, if all goes according to plan, I will no longer be using $1 bills, but the Sacagawea dollar instead. Yes, I anticipate great challenges and a few setbacks. For example:

1. Actually getting enough golden dollars to use
2. replenishing my supply
3. the looks people give me when I use them
4. the extra weight in my pockets
5. the possibility of people not accepting them (which would be illegal by the way)

In any case, that's my plan. If you don't like it, I would suggest that you avoid asking me to borrow a dollar after November 1.

4 comments:

Lauri said...

I'll be very interested in seeing how this turns out for you.

Unknown said...

From my brief time in Germany about ten years ago I liked using coins. I think they had everything up to 5 Marks in coins, which was about the equivalent of $10. The main problem is carrying them and getting them mixed up with each other when they look alike, but that can be solved with making them different colors and doing fun stuff like putting holes in their center.

I am pretty sure that it is legal to refuse to honor them at least accoring to this.

For real fun try using $2 bills as well.

www.petetheelder.com

Lauri said...

Hey so how's it going so far??

Pete said...

When do we get our first update on the sacagawea project? Election night get together at my apt? Republicans and non-voters not welcome.