But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Golden Dollar update

First, there have been a few more cases of people accepting the golden dollar from me without hesitation. The homeless guy outside of a wedding, the waitress at the Tartan (a really cool place in Redlands that's all dark inside with red leather seats etc. - very loungy and they have great burgers), and the school cafeteria. However, one thing that I have discovered is that I really don't use dollars that much as it is. My supply of 40 or so golden dollars is just now dwindling and that includes Amanda's use of them for parking. I use two coins for a coffee from Starbucks maybe twice a week, but outside of that I use my check card when grocery shopping or dining out and for most other purchases. Still, I try to keep five of them in my pocket at all times and its not nearly as annoying as people argue.

Second, there is another group that is clearly in favor of my mission: the blind. You see, blind people can't tell the difference between the different bills. One solution is creating bills of different size. However, I think that using dollar coins will limit their stress. I'm just looking out for the blind.

Finally, although I have only been on this quest for a short time, it seems that I have already achieved great success. Starting in 2007, the U.S. government will begin releasing new dollar coins. In the same spirit as the new quarters, they will release 4 each year - with the faces of each of our presidents. I hope that this will make the dollar coins more prevalent in circulation. Now, I'm not going to take too much credit for this, but it doesn't really seem like a coincidence.

No comments: