But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Power of One...Part 2

It turns out that my greatest challenge in bringing back the golden dollar is getting my hands on golden dollars. Yesterday I went to the bank to get my first big supply. I asked a guy at a desk if they had golden dollars. He said that they should and asked if it was for a gift. I told him yes. I then presented the teller with a withdrawal slip for $90 and told him that I needed $40 in quarters (laundry money) and $50 in golden dollars. He said he wasn't sure if he had that many and also asked why. This time I said that it was for my wife, who likes to use them for parking at Cal State L.A. (which is true by the way). I guess he also attends CSULA and is getting a teaching credential. I told him that the parking pass machine takes golden dollars and that this worked better than bills because the machines rejected nearly all of the bills. I think at this point I had won him over to the cause. I had previously won my wife over to the cause because of the convenience of using the dollar coin to get her parking pass. I got my quarters, a $25 roll of dollar coins (which actually ended up having 11 Susan B. Anthony dollars in it), and 19 loose golden dollars.

Here's the tally after three days: 35 golden dollars ready to circulate, two converts to the cause.

No comments: