But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Something I came across

I was reading a soccer message board this morning and people were posting pics of their first cars (its a Galaxy message board and we're in the off-season so we talk about other random stuff. So, here is a picture of something very close to my first car - a '77 Dodge Van.



The only differences between the van in these pictures and the van that my brother and I shared are that our van had a ladder on the back and large windows on the side. Ours was the same devastatingly awesome red-orange paint, had the same wood paneling on the inside of the doors, same brown/yellow shag carpet, and you could set up a bed in the back.

We had a lot of fun in that van. We had it off the ground a few times, got pulled over by the Border Patrol once, dragged 10+ people to Del Taco at lunch during high school, slept in it many times, took it camping, amongst other things.

4 comments:

Pete said...

"Amongst other things" Did it have the bumber sticker "if this vans a rockin' don't come a knockin'"

Jeff said...

As a matter of fact, my brother found a bumper sticker with a picture of a red/orange van on it that said just that.

It was heartbreaking when we sold it. My dad sold it to one of his employees who sold it for parts. I feel like it gave its life for the well-being of other vans.

Diane said...

It also had a window on the side. The previous owners called it "the Party Van". It was a fun vehicle to have.

Jeff said...

Steve did a lot of drugs in the van. It was hard for me when I was trying to study.