But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Friday, June 02, 2006

World Cup Post #1

We are a week away from the greatest sporting event in the world, so I though that I would chime in and make my predictions. I will hit two groups per day and then the elimination rounds just before Day 1. Please be aware that my analysis is based only on my knowledge and not extensive research.

Here goes:

Group A: Germany, Poland, Costa Rica, Ecuador.
A pretty easy group for the hosts, although you never want to discount any Latin American team. My prediction for this group is that Germany will run the table and Poland will get 2nd. Germany does not bring their best squad, but don't count them out with Arsenal's Jens Lehmann in the net, Michael Ballack in midfield and big striker Miroslav Klose up front. Poland always makes a steady showing at the cup. although they were eliminated in 2002 by the co-hosts Korea in the final match of the group stage. I really don't know much about the Polish side except they have not looked to be in strong form recently. The Ticos (Costa Rica) are one of those teams that is destined to not get far, although not because of a lack of heart, and often are considered the "other team" in a qualifying region with the U.S. and Mexico. Douglas Sequeira, who plays professionally here in the states, is a big mean guy that can knock the ball in with his head if given the chance. I have actually seen a number of these players as the Galaxy played 2 games against Costa Rican side FC Saprissa earlier this year. He also was born on the same day I was, which really bodes well for him. They will likely take third in the group. I don't know a single player on Ecuador and I don't expect them to get a point in this group.


1. Germany 3 wins, 9points
2. Poland 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss 4 points
3. Costa Rica 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss 4 points (out on goal differential)
4. Ecuador 0 wins, 3 losses, 0 points

Group B: England, Paraguay, Sweden, Trinidad & Tobago
Some analysts have called this the "group of death" though I'm not sure why. England is the best team in this group, but they are missing their top scorer, Wayne Rooney, to a broken foot. He may get action after the group stage, but it would take a miracle. Also, their coach is a complete moron and has brought a roster lacking in scorers. Michael Owen, although a great scorer, is coming back from the same injury that Rooney has. That leaves Liverpool's tall (6'6") Peter Crouch and a completely unproven Theo Wolcott, who has yet to play one minute in the English Premier League. However, if you want to see the best player in the world (in my opinion), watch for midfielder Steven Gerrard. After carrying Liverpool to a Champions' League title last season (after coming back from 3-0 down at the half) he worked miracles this season by scoring to magnificent goals to lift Liverpool to an FA Cup title. If there is anybody in the world that could will a team to victory in the world's largest stage, its Gerrard. Yes, I am biased because he plays for my favorite team, but I feel like I won't get much argument. Sweden has a load of talent. Watch for Ljungberg in the midfield and Larsson and Ibrahimovic up top. They are all world class players (especially Ibrahimovic, who has been rumored to spit out his gum, juggle it, and kick it back into his mouth without letting it hit the ground - in other words he's magical with his feet). Paraguay used to have the biggest douchebag in soccer, Jose Luis Chilavert, playing keeper for them, but he's gone and the only guy I know is Acuna, who is a strong midfielder that plays in Spain. I'm stoked to see T&T make it to the World Cup, but I think that they're going to get demolished for the most part. However, they will have fun, as will their fans. Plus, they have 8 strikers on their roster, which is twice as many as most countries. They do have some quality players though. Shaka Hislop in goal does a good job for West Ham in England, Dwight Yorke is a legend - although he's getting older, Stern John does pretty well playing pro in England, and the Galaxy's Cornell Glen is OK.

1. England 3 wins, 9 points
2. Sweden, 2 wins 1 loss 6 points
3. T&T (this is with my heart, not my brain) 1 win, 2 losses 3 points
4. Paraguay 3 losses 0 points


OK, that's it for now. Groups C & D tomorrow.

No comments: