But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

World Cup Post #6

OK, two days to go. Today I'll finish my picks and tomorrow give my final analysis. I'm not sure what I'll do after that since I will be pretty anxious and may not be able to sit in front of a computer for long.

So, here are the quarterfinal matches and my picks.

Germany vs. Argentina:
Being a host has its advantages. However, this is where the hosts will exit. Germany has a good team, as they probably always will. The problem is that the Argentines have a great team. Also, I think that any questions over the health of Messi will be over at this point and that will be one more threat for Argentina. Germany's strength is efficiency and they have a great keeper, but I just don't see them being able to deal with the multi-pronged, innovative, exciting attack that the Argies bring. Result: Argentina 3 - 2 Germany

Italy vs. France:
I was going to say that this is a great quarterfinal matchup, but once you get this far, they are all great. However, I think this will be somewhat of a goalfest. Both teams have reasonably good defenses, but their offenses are ridiculous. Italy will want to focus on shutting down Henry. Just like I suggested in the previous round's match, this can be done if Italy puts enough pressure on the French defense, forcing Henry to come back farther to get the ball. Italy has the talent to do just that. Plus, with France deciding to stick with Fabian Barthez, I'm actually regretting my choice to put them this far. Result: Italy 4 - 2 France

England vs. Netherlands:
Well, it looks like Wayne Rooney just might be healthy enough to play. I think its a mistake to risk it, but this is the World Cup. If he can use that foot completely, England becomes much more of a favorite. This is the round that the inexperience of the Dutch catch up with them. Although they have a strong attack, they will be distracted by a strong English midfield that gets to feed the ball to Rooney. Result: England 3 - 1 Netherlands

Brazil vs. Spain
:
This is actually a tough one to pick. On one hand, I don't see the Brazilian defense (that I have heard will be starting) being good enough to get them to the semi-finals. Spain is much more balanced and will be able to get behind the slow Brazilian defenders. They have legit finishers in Raul and Luis Garcia. On the other hand, Spain chokes in the World Cup. Tough choice, but I can't go too much further without picking at least one upset. Result: Spain 2 - 1 Brazil.

That gives us the semi-final matches:

Argentina vs. Italy:
Damn, I get excited just thinking about this possible matchup. Two teams that are quick, exciting, and talented. Argentina is often called the Italy of South America. This time, though, I see the new world conquering the old world. I have Carlos Tevez on my World Cup fantasy team and I think this is where he will make his mark on world soccer. I predict a brace (two goals) to the young Argentine and a goal for the recovering Francesco Totti late, but it will not be enough. Result: Argentina 2 -1 Italy

England vs. Spain:
The battle of the colonizers. Also, I think the battle to see who will lose to Argentina. In my opinion, England's coach has not brought a full compliment of his best players. Surely, they are loaded with an amazing starting 11, especially if Wayne Rooney is healthy. As that is the current news, I will make my prediction based on his availability. Really, there is one gigantic difference between Spain and England. Steven Gerrard. Over the past two season, Stevie G has shown that he has that extra "something" to carry a team to victory. He did it in the 2005 Champions League final and again in the 2006 FA Cup final. I think he will bring that determination, skill, and magic to the world stage and carry England to the final, scoring the game-winner in stoppage time. Result: England 2 -1 Spain

THE FINAL

England vs. Argentina:
Remember my comment about the irony that always comes at some point in the World Cup? Here, Argentina will use their slogan "Remember Falkland!" and beat the inventors of the game. I have said it at every stage of my predictions. This Argentina team has something to prove and the talent to prove it. I actually think that England will have the lead twice in this match, but will fall to this spirited Argentine team late in the game with a goal by Tevez, Messi, or Crespo. Result: Argentina 3 - 2 England

So that's it. I pick Argentina to win the World Cup. Let me also clear a few things up about who I am supporting. First and foremost, I would give up a finger to have the U.S. win the cup. In fact, I will get the U.S. soccer logo tatooed on my giant right calf if they do. (By the way, my brother and I both said that we would get stars tatooed on our arms if the Galaxy won the MLS Cup last year, and we have yet to fulfill that promise. A star, also by the way, is usually put on a team's jersey for each championship that they have won.) So that is my team until they are out. After that I support England, mostly because I am a Liverpool fan and would love to see Gerrard and Carragher lift this cup. After that, I basically go for the underdog and against Brazil. Overall, though, I support this beautiful game and will love watching any team win it. Except Brazil. Fuck them. They have enough trophies. And I give no credit to any novice soccer fan that picks Brazil to win and puts it in my face later. Bugger off!

3 comments:

Pete said...

Gryffindor has a great seeker but are they any match for Slytherin's beaters? I think not!

Lauri said...

Jeff i need an update!!!

Jeff said...

I heard you and took care of it. I had to get over what happened yesterday first.