But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Friday, March 16, 2007

I never really meant to end up here...

...but time, circumstance, and I would argue destiny brought me to my current life. After spending my college years in San Diego (not at state, but UCSD) it never really was an option that I would leave. My plan was originally to start subbing there, eventually teach full-time and make my life there. Things didn't come together fast enough and I was forced to move back home. It was not the worst thing in the world. The girl I had been dating lived there, the rent was cheap, and I would be closer to my family - although I had recently decided that my family was somewhat dysfunctional after my parents' divorce. (I've come back full circle since then). Ironically, I was offered a job with a law firm in San Diego shortly after moving away.

The only part of my plan that really worked out was teaching. What does that mean? Well, to me it means my plan was mostly shit. I love my new hometown - (South) Pasadena. I love where my life has gone since the plan disintegrated. The school where I teach has its ups-and-downs, but I feel fulfilled by what I accomplish there. There's some chick that seems to hang around my apartment a lot and she's pretty OK.

However, there is one thing that I miss about San Diego that I will never have again. I miss driving down Garnett Avenue in Pacific Beach with the window down and the radio on. Not the CD player - the radio. There's something about the sound of FM radio that seems to match that scene. Maybe its the crackle that you get when crossing under electric lines. I think it has a lot do do with feeling like you are listening to the same thing as everyone else. I loved seeing people walk around in flip-flops, covered in tattoos, drinking coffee/tea/beer/smoothies, etc. I loved the cool, clean air. I hate the beach itself, but the beach city cannot be matched by anything anywhere. There really is no equivalent in Pasadena. No place to just roll down the window and take it all in.

And I miss having that.

2 comments:

Amanda Jane said...

I'm sorry you miss the beach city. I don't really miss it at all. I do miss the fresh air, though.

Pete said...

All the roads we have to walk are winding. All the lights that lead us there are blinding.