But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bringing camping to the next level

As a kid growing up in a relatively poor family, camping was one of our most common vacations. (Side note: poor only lasted until I was maybe 11-12. Nothing against poor, but I don't want anyone thinking that I had a rough childhood financially). Once we hit the late teen years we were more likely to hit up places with hotels, although we still camped every so often. Nonetheless, camping is still one of my favorite vacations. Unfortunately, most of my camping stopped around college. I did camp in the middle of nowhere once during the summer after my freshman year in college. It was with the friends of a friend in Northern California. We passed the night drinking Keystone and Coors Light, throwing knives, and practicing roping a fake bull. It was a good time.

I have been re-introduced to camping by Amanda's friends in the last couple of years. They have been doing regular trips for something like 20 years (when their parents took them). However, the days of whiffle ball and running through poison-oak have been replaced by drinking absurd amounts of domestic beer in cans (usually Bud Light and Coors Light), walking down to the beach, reading, a little Sorry (in which I think I am undefeated), and talking shit around the campfire. Again, good times.

This year I am stepping it up a notch - at least for myself. Due to my somewhat recent obsession with wine, I am going to bring some quality wine to camping this year along with some plastic wine glasses. So far, my only choice is a 2005 Marquis Philips Sarah's Blend. Its a blend of shiraz, cabernet sauv., merlot, and a little cab franc. Being from Australia, it should be a complete fruit bomb, which should be just right for camping. I may also bring a bottle of Four Vines Naked Chardonnay (naked means that it was not aged in oak) for the daytime.

Don't get me wrong. For the most part I will be drinking nice cold domestic cans during the day, but the 14-15% alcohol found in these wines sound pretty good for the night.

6 comments:

Lauri said...

Don't forget to bring the Happy Hour snack(s) of your choice!

Charles Sumner said...

A bottle of Scotch always feels right in the woods. Don't forget to admire the nature stuff before you get too "serious"

Pete said...

I'm bringing some wine too. A jug of Carlo Rossi, which I will drink one handed while balancing it on my elbow, whiskey jug style. One time we broke into a box of wine and passed the bag around until it was empty. There is photagraphic evidence of this.
Actually, I'm bringing two bottles that I bought at Cost Plus. I bought them because I thought the bottles were cool looking, so they will probably taste like crap, but what the hell...

derrickgott007 said...

Don't forget to blow across the tops of those wino-jugs when you are done pete..Round out that hillbilly image....haha

Hey Jeff, remember when we went camping that one time and Steve destroyed like 7 tons of seaside cliff with one well thrown rock and that old man called him an asshole?? That was great!! Who knew one tiny rock thrown at a sandstone cliff would bring down 7 tons!!

Pete said...

Is that true?

Jeff said...

Sadly, it is true. I don't remember where it was though. I think we were maybe 11-12 or younger. These cliffsides were seriously unstable and as young boys I think we felt very God-like destroying nature. Our first 20 throws generally dislodged maybe 2-3 handfuls of dirt, but Steve (I trust Derrick's memory that it was Steve) hit just the right spot and enough rock came down that it created a small dust cloud. Not 7 tons (although at that age it seemed like it), but at least enough to fill a wheelbarrow. I was more of a republican back then, willing to destroy nature for my own benefit. However, I must admit that I laughed out loud when I read Derrick's comment.