But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Friday, January 25, 2008

Today's List - 1/25

1. FYI: Its raining. A lot. That means you need to take it a little easy on the freeway. I saw one accident happen and 3 that had already happened on the freeway on the way to work today. I'm looking at you Mercedes and BMW drivers.

2. Since Derrick asked I will answer: Yeah, I think it sucks that there were a million people waiting to snap a photo of a bodybag with dead Heath Ledger. And I think the coverage of him, Britney Spears, Anna Nicole, et al goes way overboard. I don't blame the paparazzi though. They are doing a job, albeit a sleazy job, but they are only meeting the public's demand for that kind of shit.

3. Wow. Obama absolutely thrashed Hillary in South Carolina. I'm waiting to see if this changes some of the polls in other states. She needed to get her ass handed to her after the dirty campaign that she has been running. Bill needs to get his nuts put in the grinder as well. That whole week before the primaries shows exactly why I don't like her - she doesn't care about what is right, she only cares about what will get her success. Both of those douchebag Clintons should be ashamed of what they are doing. Slate's John Dickerson has a good article about it.

4. I went to Wal-Mart yesterday. No, I did not buy anything. I was only the driver on the trip and I felt like I should let my sister-in-law go where she wanted since it was her daughter in the hospital that brought me back to the 909 yesterday. In any case, that place is quite possibly the closest I will ever get to hell on Earth. Its dirty, crowded, unorganized, and I can't look at the employees without feeling the deepest sympathy for them. I see the t-shirt for $6 and know that it only needs to be $7 in order for the company to pay their employees fair wages and get them some kind of insurance.

5. I feel so much better about the universe today. I have in the past written about my students' poor taste in movies. This weekend many of them went to see "Meet the Spartans" and the majority said that they walked out during the movie and snuck into Rambo. I don't condone theater hopping, but I'm impressed with their decision.

6. On a hypocritical note - has anyone done the theater-hopping thing before. I don't mean buying tickets to one show and going to a different one. I mean you buy for one movie, watch that movie, then sneak into another theater for another movie. I think I might check that out one of these days, maybe check out 3 movies in one day. The problem is that I'm not sure if there will ever be 3 movies in theaters that I want to see at the same time.

7. Read this on a website that I can't find again: "Wolf [from American Gladiators] is the new Chuck Norris". Blasphemy.

6 comments:

derrickgott007 said...

Rain brings out the idiots... I once saw two cars simultaniously spin out side by side because of a little water on the road. People in the city can't drive for crap once is starts to rain.

derrickgott007 said...

Hey Jeff, whats your take on Heath Ledger and the whole news world having to report that the was naked. Naked in your bedroom is not newsworthy, Naked in say, WalMart is newsworthy.

Charles Sumner said...

Theater Hopping- Did it in college. It takes serious planning to do more then 2, but the record was 5. We tried to break it once with six, but our first two were Happy Gilmore and Leaving Las Vegas. Needless to say we as a group were all screwed up emotionally after those two. I have never considered hopping again. I like to pretend I got better things to do.

Charles Sumner said...

Didn't know you were a believer in Chuck Norris. The legend Grows.
http://legendofchucknorris.com/trailer.html

Pete said...

Re: #2 or are they CREATING demand for that shit.

Re: #5 Have you REALLY never seen First Blood? REALLY? No wonder you don't like guns. I think you need to see it. Brian Dennehey plays a hard ass Sheriff of a small Northwestern town. A young David Caruso and Richard Crenna as Col. Trotter (I think thats the character's name? doesn't quite sound right) the best line in the movie is delivered by said character "If you're going after John Rambo you better not forget one thing...a good supply of body bags."

Jeff said...

You really can't create demand. You can make things more available, but peope will only demand it if they want it. These days we are just more able to live vicariously through celebrities since we no longer have to wait for Entertainment Tonight when we can see it immediately and unedited live on the web.