But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Friday, September 30, 2005

I didn't knock on wood I guess

So I get a notice in my school mail that says they will be doing major electrical work on my wing of classes from Oct 10-14. They will provide "auxiliary power" so I can have lights and such, but I will be left WITH NO AIR CONDITIONING!! Seriously, it is going to be a freaking sauna up in this metal box that I teach in. I can deal with it OK, but I know my students will complain without end despite my inability to remedy the situation. I may not even be allowed to run a fan.

Last night was back-to-school night and I had to be part of the 9th grade Creativity House presentation. I won't explain what a "house" is, but the gym was not air conditioned and it was hotter in that gym than it is inside a yak's ass.

Now before you call weak-sauce on me, let me clarify that the heat doesn't get to me. It is the constant whining of my students and their parents that gets to me. People are the biggest chili-wusses (insult from the Simpsons) about the A/C sometimes. What did we do before them? I guess we just got sweaty and dealt with the smell. Hopefully I don't have too many smelly kids.

3 comments:

Lauri said...

eeeewwww teenage b.o.!!!

Pete said...

You could do like Edward james Olmos (Jaime Escalante) in Stand and Deliver and pass out cold oranges and tell them to "think cool". That will work on high school students, Im sure of it.

Amanda Jane said...

Maybe you should bring in your super soaker and spray anyone that complains about being hot. oh wait, that might create some mayhem...