But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Thursday, March 09, 2006

A Little Reminder about reality

Last year I was at a Galaxy game against ChivasUSA where my support group was given special passes to stand directly behind the other team's goal in order to harass their rookie goalkeeper. At halftime we were switching sides when I ran into the Galaxy's President and General Manager, Doug Hamilton. I thanked him for letting have the rare opportunity, for the free beer garden, and then told him that he needed to fire our coach. He was very polite and simply, professionally, walked away after my last comment.

On the team's flight back from Costa Rica tonight, Doug Hamilton had a heart attack and died. Here is a picture from a reserve game this last year as Doug walks away putting his son on his shoulders:


I have put literally thousands of dollars, hours and hours of my time, and a good part of my heart and soul into supporting this team. In a weird way, when you get that involved in a team, they become a second family and certainly the Home Depot Center became my second home (just ask Amanda how I reacted the first time I went there and how much time I spend there now). During the last 2 years I have said nearly nothing good about Doug because I disagreed with just about every decision he made in regards to this team. However, it is sad to me to lose this member of my second family and even sadder when I see the picture above. Even though I, along with the majority of the Riot Squad, constantly ripped him for his bad decisions, in the end he proved us wrong by bringing us 2 league titles in 4 years and many of the players that he brought in will continue with this team for years to come.

It also reminds me that even a healthy and young guy can unsuspectingly pass away almost at any moment and that we should all be a little thankful for what we have. Yeah, I know its sappy, but these are the types of things that get me into a sappy mood.

Thanks for the titles and the beer Doug. And I'm sorry for being an asshole to you.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

Yeah like that pasadena guy who was running around the rose bowl and died. he was only 30!! and athletic. what was he doing wrong to die so young?