But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Saturday, March 11, 2006

My conflicted feelings

The Jordanian government executed two prisoners today for the 2002 assassination of American Diplomat Laurence Foley. This is a strange story for me for several reasons. First, Foley's son, Mike, was a good friend, roommate, and co-worker of mine in college. Second, Mike's dad was working for USAID in Jordan on a project to bring clean water to parts of the city (at least that is what I remember). This seems like a strange target for assassination, other than the fact that he was an American. Third, it was this event that got Amanda and I talking again after we had not really talked too much after I left college.

However, this story is also a great challenge to my way of thinking. In the past, I was a little torn over my feelings towards the death penalty. Over the last few years, though, I have become a stronger opponent to the death penalty. This opposition is based on several thoughts. First, I'm not sure that killing someone because they killed someone serves as a good message. To me, it sounds like a government saying "you can't kill, but we can." Second, it does not serve as a remedy to the murder. The victim is not brought back, so it really doesn't achieve any goal. Finally, it does not work as a deterrent. The U.S. is one of the few "Western" countries that still has a death penalty and yet has higher murder rates than any other "Western" nation. In fact, our murder rates are usually 4-5 times greater than the murder rates of European nations.

What makes this difficult is that I think these guys deserve to be punished to the fullest extent of the law, which means hanging in Jordan. Knowing what Larry was doing in Jordan and that he was a nice guy that wanted to help people makes it even worse. I envision these assholes dying on those ropes as justice served, but don't really feel any better about what happened. So there's the rub. If I ever had to face the challenge of a loved one being killed, I would probably want to find the person who did it and take out my anger on them, but what would that accomplish besides getting me in trouble? I understand killing someone in defense because that prevents the murder, but killing the perpetrator after the fact does not provide that protection. Tough call.

No comments: