But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Today's List 12/11

I've been pretty busy lately with work stuff so I beg your forgiveness for the lack of posts. I have several things to mention so I put them in a list.

1. Pete wants to know what a caucus is. Briefly, people meet according to their district/precinct and talk about the issues. In the case of the presidential election, they talk about the candidates and there is usually 1-2 people that make general statements about each candidate. I think the two parties do things differently, but what it comes down to is they don't vote individually for a candidate, but either choose one of the people present to attend the state convention OR take an unofficial vote on scratch paper and send their single decision to the state party. That's the extent of my knowledge, but I'm sure there's a Wikipedia entry for it. Either way I think its retarded.

2. Peter (from Pete the Elder) loves Giuliani. He had a rough time last week (maybe the week before?) which included getting caught paying for trips to cheat on his wife with city money and the discovery that his company runs security (or something like that) for some guy that helped hide/protect Osama Bin Laden. Added to his cop friend getting busted and the fact that he's an ass and you wonder why he's a leading candidate. Oh wait, I remember why - the rest of the candidates are even bigger ass-clowns. (Note: outside of his intensely evangelical beliefs I actually think Hukabee is their most reasonable candidate)

3. I took 15 of my students today to a breakfast with the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. After his speech one of my students asked him why he always blames teachers for problems at schools. He didn't really know what to say and completely dodged the question. Turns out he's looking to run for governor.

4. Do people actually watch NBA Basketball?

5. I forgot how awesome Big Trouble in Little China is. Thanks for bringing that back Pete.

6. I kick ass at Wheel of Fortune, but I fucking hate watching it.

7. I'm going to start playing the lottery. I figure I throw away $1 here and there anyways so why not.

8. Here's the future:



Plasticware made from corn. It has been around for a while, but its becoming relatively cheaper since regular plastic is made using petroleum.

9. I chaperoned a trip Saturday to the Environmental Youth Conference with some students from my school. Not only did I get to see Fez and Tyrese (who I guess is in Transformers), but I got to talk to a lot of people about new projects looking to help the environment - including corn plastic. In fact, the City of Los Angeles is looking to be a "Zero Waste" city within the next 15-20 years or so.

10. I've you've never read anything by Nick Hornby you should. I just read "Long Way Down" and really enjoyed it. His memoir, Fever Pitch, was the basis of the lame-ass movie with Drew Barrymore and that one guy from Saturday Night Live. However, in his memoir he is not an obsessive Red Sox fan, but an obsessive Arsenal fan.

11. I'll admit it. I frequently listen to KOST since they are on the all-Christmas-music-all-the-time thing.

5 comments:

Pete said...

with this corn plastic, can you eat your fork when you are done with your meal?

Jeff said...

Nope. Its still plastic - just plastic made from corn. I guess they take the lactic acid from the corn and form it into the meltable pellets.

Lynlee said...

I just bought that Nick Hornby book, but I haven't started it yet. And, the reason that you listen to KOST is the main reason that I avoid it.

derrickgott007 said...

Damn Pete beat me to it....

You can eat those packing peanuts made from corn though...They dissolve if you put them in your mouth and they taste like corn flakes....And then you realize how many people have touched them and you wretch.

I learned this working at a furniture store a long time ago. Could come in handy if Bear Grills ever gets lost in a furniture store.

Jeff said...

Yeah, but I bet dog shit dissolves in your mouth too after a while - it doesn't mean you should eat it.