But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Friday, October 21, 2005

Proposition 73

I can't sleep because my nasal passages have launched a massive counter-strike, forcing me to breath through my mouth, which is now like a desert. So I decided to do my first CA Proposition analysis.

I'm still tossing many ideas in my head about how I want to do this. I decided that although I really want to give my opinions on these issues, which could make my analysis much more fun to read, that I should be an impartial judge of the issues to allow anybody reading this to make their own decision.

First, a couple points of business: #1 These are my interpretations based on the analysis and text of the proposition as provided to me by the State of California. So whoever the guy/girl that wrote the analysis for the State can kiss my ass if they think I'm stealing ideas. Plus, I'm making no money, so there. #2 In the packet I read the summaries, arguments for and against, rebuttals, and the actual text. I used no other information specifically, although I may indirectly refer to other things that I have read/heard/seen in the past. #3 I may include ideas from my own personal experience to clarify what I think is the truth. #4 If you disagree with my interpretation, tough shit...I'm probably right and you're not. #5 When I say "basic arguments in favor/against" I am trying to summarize the argument for that side, I am not necessarily agreeing.

So here it goes:

Summary: Prop 73 would require notification to parents when their minor daughter wants to get an abortion.

How it would work: Before getting the abortion, the doctor would have to let the parents know 48 hours before the abortion takes place. This essentially creates a 48-hour waiting period before the abortion takes place. Notification could be in person or by certified mail. In either case, the parent would be aware of the abortion before it takes place. There are several exceptions: medical emergencies, parent waiver (so there would be no waiting period), or by court order.

Basic arguments in favor: Parents should know when their daughter is going to get an abortion so they can be prepared to help her deal with the emotional and physical effects afterward.

Basic argument against: This law could keep young girls that are in "difficult parent situations" from getting a safe abortion if they are scared of what their parents might do.

Fiscal impact ($$$) I think analysts basically go PC on this one saying that there could be some savings and some expenses. Basically, I see it as a wash. The state may have to pay less for abortions since some girls might be scared/counseled away from it, but then the State may have to pay to raise the babies if the mom is poor, which they seem to think will be most of them.

What I think this really means: First, if a doctor doesn't comply they can get sued, so its another pressure on doctors. Second, this law doesn't specifically make it illegal for a minor to get an abortion, it only forces the doctor to let the parents know. Third, neither side can really give legitimate statistics proving their argument, so it seems to me that either could be right about the outcome.

How I think you should vote: If you are a pro-lifer this could really go either way for you. Yes, this could prevent abortions, but it is also a compromise since it really doesn't ban abortions. On the other hand, this law could face US Constitutional issues due to Roe v. Wade, so maybe you want this to pass either way. If you are pro-choice I think you would probably want to go no on this one. There is some very specific language that defines what an unborn child is, which sort of works OK in context, but judges don't always interpret contextually. If you are generally paranoid of the government being "big brother" then this is really a no for you since the doctor has to file paperwork with the government about location, names, length of pregnancy, type of abortion, etc. Sure, there are provisions for privacy/confidentiality, but when has "the man" ever respected that?

State-provided links for more info:
People in favor
People Against

Maybe I'll give my opinion on this later, since I certainly have one, but I'll let you marinate it in your own head for a bit first. Next time I'll talk about Prop 74, which deals with teacher tenure. I swear I'll give it a fair analysis despite my obvious bias.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

I didn't want to edit my original post to say this, but feel free to discuss this through comments.

Amanda Jane said...

I'm glad you have a forum for some of your political thoughts, since Greg(jeff's friend who he used to get in respectful political debates with) lives in Kansas. Maybe you should let him know about your blog so he can respond...

Pete said...

Here's an opinion. Vote No on all the propositions. #1 because they came from the guy who was Conan and the Terminator. #2 this is an unnecessary election and a complete waste of time and money just like the recall election.

Jeff said...

Well said. However, the time and money has now been wasted and I'm afraid that a "yes" or "no" vote may be translated into support or opposition for that proposed legislation, not for the reason that you intend. I might be giving you a hint about my opinion (which ruins my attempt at being unbiased in my evaluations), but I REALLY agree with you.