But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Sunday, May 14, 2006

In memory

Some numbers:

In 2005, more than 3 million people worldwide died from AIDS.
Every year in the U.S., around 15,000 people die from AIDS.
Right now, there are over 40 million people in the world living with HIV.

This week, my Uncle Rick lost his partner Vince to AIDS. This is the second time that this has happened to him. Vince was one of the kindest, most friendly, and real people that I got to meet during my life. That was why he was such a good match for my uncle, who is also nice to a level that I aspire to.

AIDS has not gone away. Its just not in the news as much as terrorism, although it kills a lot more people.

AIDS doesn't just infect bad people, drug users, those with promiscuous sexual habits, etc. AIDS infects people who love other people. AIDS infects children (over 500,000 died in 2005). AIDS infects people that you and I know.

When you hear someone make derogatory comments about people living with HIV or AIDS and how they were infected, please think about my uncle and Vince and how their kindness could not protect them, although it allows them to have dignity and honor.

For more information on AIDS and HIV visit the Center for Disease Control

No comments: