But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Monday, May 01, 2006

May 1 boycotts

Just a little update about the effect that today's boycott has had on my classroom. I can't speak for the whole school or the whole district.

In my first period class, there were 18 students out of 38 in class. Homeroom had 15 out of 35. My 3rd period had 18 out of 38. I originally thought that it would be mostly good students in class and the rest at home. However, there was a pretty even mix of good and bad students. In fact, my 3 best were out during third. Just to give you an idea, I normally have 7-10 students absent during each class on a regular day.

What does this mean? I really don't know. Based on talking to students on Friday, I would say that a good number of them, maybe 50%, are really just staying home because they can. Then maybe 30-40% are staying home as a protest, but probably don't understand the issue and will likely not attend a rally. The other 10-20% really have an understanding, but maybe 1/2 of those or less are likely to attend the rally.

In any case, that's my first-hand view of things.

Edit: Rest of the day # that showed up. Per. 4= 14 out of 40 Per. 5= 18/38 Per. 6= 15/36

I figured (in my head without a calculator) that makes about 40% avg. attendance.

2 comments:

Pete said...

I can't beleive you have 38 students on a normal day, thats insane.

Jeff said...

Yeah, that's actually an average class. My 4th period had 42 until 2 dropped last week.