But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Monday, May 01, 2006

May 1 boycotts...part dos

I made a point to listen to some of the more conservative talk radio shows on my way home from work today. Their take was basically the same as the protests...called immigrants a bunch of criminals. KFI radio did their own take as they had people call in and say how their day was better without immigrants. Most of the comments talked about the lack of freeway traffic.

What do I think was accomplished today? The issue was back in the news. That's about it. Students that were in class today told me that their parents went and got gas, food, etc. yesterday just so they would not have to buy today. I guess 90%+ of the truck drivers at the port in Long Beach didn't show up, but they were not mostly immigrant. They worked Saturday and Sunday to get some things done and to "avoid trouble" today.

My students that did not show up missed a day of education as I went about my business as usual. They'll just have to catch up. Many probably will complain, but I told them that we would be doing what we had been scheduled to do for the last 2 weeks. Oh well. No staff members missed today at school that I know of. I was in the office when the word came thay no custodial staff was out "sick".

Numbers are mixed on the protests. Some sources say 1 million while others say 300,000 and others say 50,000. To me, the numbers are pretty insignificant. This will pass as did the other one. Until immigrants become a significant and active voting block they will be ignored. Well, unless they sing the national anthem in Spanish, which is getting a lot of people into an uproar. Hell, let's sing it in Arab as far as I'm concerned. Why does it really matter? Most Americans at sporting events barely take their hats off or even stay quiet. Do we get on their case? Nope.

No comments: