But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Its coming...

I'm done with the joke where I talk about an exciting event this summer, get you thinking that I am talking about my wedding, then say its the World Cup. In person, I will still use this joke, however.

First, I am really excited about my upcoming wedding. The World Cup can't really compete with that. World Cup comes every 4 years where a wedding is maybe once every 10-15 years.

As far as the World Cup goes, I am suffering from terrible anxiety. This weekedn in San Diego, I saw a cat with an anxiety disorder that was missing most of the hair on the back 1/3 of its body. With only 16 days before game 1 (Germany vs. Costa Rica) and 19 before the U.S. opens with the Czech Republic, I am an absolute nervous wreck. Thinking about it now, I realize its World Cup that has cost me a good night's sleep for the last week. I got my new authentic US away jersey with the number 22 and Onyewu on the back. What does authentic really mean. The shirt is more expensive and runs really small (i.e. it shows off my "pecs"). The shirt is hanging like a Draconian sword from my deskchair reminding me that the U.S. is staring down the toughest group in World Cup and we lost to Morocco last night. Also, U.S. Captain Claudio Reyna came up lame last night, although reports said that the prognosis is good.

The reminders are constant and wherever I turn. Even ESPN and ABC keep reminding me that its "more than just a game" while Gatorade tells me "Its a whole new ballgame."

I need a beer. And HD. And Tivo. And a job that gives me June off every 4 years.

Holy Lord, please bring us victory. At least against the Czechs and Ghana. A draw with Italy will do.

2 comments:

Lauri said...

Jeff your freaking out! When i get that tense i find that exercising really helps. Take a long walk or more time at the gym. Get that nervous energy out.

Jeff said...

I walk or go to the gym 4 days a week or more. Well, usually. The last 2 weeks have been tough, so I've gone the other direction by having a beer (maybe 2) or glass of wine (maybe 2) on most nights. Trust me, I know this is not the solution, but its something.