But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Today's List - 10/11

1. There's a Dollar Club on Lake and Mountain near where I play soccer. Do you know how much a box of cereal is there? 99-cents. Why? As the sign outside explains: 99% = 99-cents. Now I get it.

2. The Taco Bell one block from the Dollar Club is no longer there. It is now Taco Baja. From the outside it looks like they kept everything except the menu. There was a pizza place in Redlands that did the same thing - was Little Ceasars, now Antonious. The pizza at Antonious was cheaper and better.

3. People are assholes. Teachers much more so in many cases. I am moving between two classes this year. Most of the storage space is still occupied by the previous teacher who says that the teacher she is sharing with will give her no space, but she won't deal with the problem. I used simple economics to solve the problem. I dropped a note in her box saying that if the stuff is still in and on top of the closets on Monday I will put it in boxes out on the walkway. In economic terms that is called incentive.

4. I am going to rant some time in the next 3 days about Bush, spying, and torture. I'm too angry and busy to do it now.

5. I think Pete has given up on the prospects of our upcoming presidential election. I know he has officially declared the Republican candidates as useless. I agree. I'm sure my old friend Peter does not (I think he's still a Giuliani supporter for some reason).

6. Former Assistant U.S. Attorney John Atchison killed himself in jail. I don't have a problem with that. He flew to Michigan looking to have sex with a 5 year-old girl. (For a disturbing and yet pretty funny discussion of this story you should listen to SModcast.)

7. I love soccer, but there is a dark side to the game that you are all aware of: diving. Here's a recent example. This is a game between Italy's AC Milan and Scotland's Celtic. Milan were the heavy favorites but the goal that is celebrated put Celtic ahead. Watch what happens afterward.


A fan gets by security, runs by Milan keeper Dida, and gives him a little tickle. Dida starts to run after him, then falls on the ground later to be carried off on a stretcher with an icepack. Why? He hoped to get his team's loss thrown out because a fan caused him to leave. The real result. Celtic get fined a measly 25,000 pounds while Dida the Douche gets a two game suspension. The fan was also banned for life from all Celtic matches.

8. Did I mention that I have a very cute little niece? No? Well, here's a picture.


Enjoy the weekend

No comments: