But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Turkey wine!

OK, there's no such thing as Turkey wine, but I want to (belatedly) make some Thanksgiving wine suggestions. However, let me state up front that the best wine to serve on Thanksgiving is the one that you like and can afford.

First, in the world of whites I would go towards reisling. Reisling is the grape that everyone loves, but nobody buys. Generally, for me, the dry reislings are the way to go with Turkey dinner. Last year I brought a bottle of Eroica (note: not Erotica). My mother-in-law doesn't like white wine too much but loved the stuff. Eroica is a combined effort from Washington mass-producer Chateau Ste. Michelle and German reisling demi-God Dr. Loosen. Its been a staple reisling for me for 3 years or so, but the price keeps going up - now about $20-24 per bottle. However, it is readily available in all grocery stores. Hogue makes a cheaper ($6-8) reisling that is less complex, but would work better on a budget. Both of these are sweeter. Since nobody buys reisling you can get some top-notch German stuff for cheap. Look for the word "Kabinet" on the label. Its the easiest name of dry reisling to remember. If you like sweeter, look for "spotlese" (pronounced shpot-lay-suh).

Red. Look, everyone says to drink Beaujolais Nouveau with Thanksgiving. Its OK. But the best-known brand (whose name I forget, but it comes in a super-colorful bottle) is not that good. This is one time where you can justify buying Pinot Noir (which has been overpriced since Sideways). Go with Oregon if you are going with Pinot Noir. On the other hand, I will be bringing a zinfandel with me to the Kimball household on Thanksgiving. I like the more bold flavor of zinfandel, but its spiciness can go well with the sides.

In the middle you could also go with a dry Rose. Its hard to tell what is dry and what is sweet unless it says so specifically on the label so your best luck is to hit the wine shop.

After dinner? I say go with Pimm's Cup. Kind of herbal, kind of sweet. 1 part Pimm's with 2 parts ginger ale or Sprite.

5 comments:

derrickgott007 said...

I'm just going to get a cheap box wine, and take the foil bag out and just drape the bag over the back of my recliner and the spigot on my shoulder, that way I can easily lean over and grab a couple sips and then pass back out into my turkey induced coma.

Did Grandpa send you an email asking you what size underwear you wear?? He did me....Weird. I think he's about to become a mole person...lol or a bobber since they live amongst them.

Pete said...

I will be starting with a bloody Mary. With dinner I will drink a Firestone Lager or a Fuller's ESB.

Jeff said...

Amanda will be starting with Bloody mary's too. I think I'll start with mimosas and maybe help you put a dent in that gin.

Pete said...

Uh oh, I better Make Sure I gots some tonic. Are we on for the sausage bread?

derrickgott007 said...

Oh my...did he just say the magic words of Sausage Bread?? Damn I miss sausage bread and the super bowl and Grandma and Grandpa Gott's living room with a fire burning..