But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Skills to Pay the Bills

I heard a cool interview today on KCRW's Morning Eclectic with author Alan Light, who recently published a book called "The Skills to Pay the Bills" about the Beastie Boys. I have not read it, but I plan on picking it up this weekend.

Its shocking to me that License to Ill was will celebrate the 20th anniversary of its release this year. My brother and I got that record (actually a record, not a tape or CD) soon after it came out. Now that I think about it, I'm really surprised that my parents let us get it. Although it is often considered one of the greatest records of modern music, I would argue that its not even the best Beastie Boys record. If you have never heard Paul's Boutique, you need to check that one out.

Also, if you have never seen the Beastie Boys live, you are missing out. Amanda and I went with my brother and his wife during their last tour. Their show is great because you get a mix of everything. They don't do as much stuff from License to Ill anymore, but they do a whole set (4-5 songs) from their instrumental album "The In Sound from Way Out", which is also really good. They are eligible for entry into the rock n' roll hall of fame this year and I would not be surprised to see them get in unanimously.

4 comments:

Pete said...

Have you ever asked yourself why Kroq still plays songs from Licensed to Ill like it came out this year? I have, especially in light of Paul's Boutique, Ill communication and hello nasty. The answer is that Kroq sucks. I just wanted to say that. Kroq sucks.

Jeff said...

KROQ plays lots of crappy music. See my newest post (going up in like 10 minutes). If there were better options I would go with that. However, I am hooked on Kevin and Bean and Indy103 does not have much of a signal. In the past 3-4 years I have spent much more time listening to K-Jazz and KPCC(NPR).

Amanda Jane said...

Um, either I'm losing it or you are, because I don't recall ever going to a Beastie Boys concert with you. That was when you and your brother took the metrolink by yourselves I think, and had the encounter with the confused old asian man on the way home from the concert.

Jeff said...

you are right...we went to U2 with Steve and Aimee. Sorry, I'm getting old.