But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Monday, December 19, 2005

Flash or no flash?

I went to Disneyland for the first time yesterday in maybe 7-8 years (when Indians Jones was just opened). A good time was had by all. Amanda and I went with my brother and his wife, who have season passes. Let me say this about people who have season passes to Disneyland. They are all nerds (except my brother and his wife). They wear too many Disneyland pins, they have matching clothes, and they know ride narration by heart. They really need to get a life. Really.

However, this is the Happiest Place on Earth (at least that is what the people at Disneyland keep telling us) and I want to be positive in this post.

We went on a bunch of rides and most of them were not as cool as I remember. For some reason, I really enjoyed the Indians Jones ride this time around although I didn't like it in the past. Also, I have to admit that I actually enjoyed the Peter Pan ride. Sure, is corny and a little past its time, but the view of the fake city and the room full of stars are pretty cool as you fly through them in your personal pirate ship. By lunch I felt like I was ready to go, but once the time came to leave I didn't want to. I guess that is the magic of Disneyland.

Highlights of my trip: (in no particular order, except the first one)
1. Going with a "love interest". I used to be envious of people that were at Disneyland with a significant other. This time I was that person and I enjoyed it. Plus, almost every other time that I have gone to any amusement park I was ready to ditch the person/people I was with, but that was not the case this time.
2. Dole whip at the Tiki Room. This is basically pineapple ice cream, but it was good. I only had 3 bites, but I could have eaten a gallon.
3. Cold weather. It meant not going on Splash Mountain, but it was a nice change to sweating like a damn pig all day. Plus, it seemed very Christmassy and I like Christmas.
4. My digital camera. I took a buttload of pictures and didn't need to worry about running out. At one point I annoyed myself after taking like 20 pictures inside Small World, but there was nothing else to do there. If you don't have one, get one.
5. A backpack with water, medicine, sandwiches, almonds and cookies. All my needs were met with limited funds spent.
6. "Buck Knuckle"
7. Being near the Small World Castle as it lit up. Nice view.
8. Seeing little kids having fun. It was the first time that I went to an amusement park where I was not annoyed by little kids. They were wearing princess dresses, bundled up for the weather, running after characters, screaming on the rides, tripping and falling on their faces, etc.

Lowlights:
1. The Happiest Place on Earth has the Crappiest Coffee on Earth.
2. The tram ride back to the parking lot. Still thawing out.
3. $112 to get in and I am supposed to pay an extra $6 to get commemorative plastic ticket/cards? Stupid capitalism.
4. Disney nerds (see above)
5. Too many people.

So the good highly outweighed the bad. Hopefully next time I go will be with my kids or at least my brother's kids. That will be a whole new fun experience.

Here are some pictures that not only show some parts of the day, but also the difference between pictures with a flash and without. Note that in each picture the non-flash picture is cooler. The first two are from the Haunted Mansion and the second set are of Amanda and me in front of the Disneyland Gimongous Christmas tree. The last picture is the lit-up Small World castle that I mentioned above.









No comments: