But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Grupo de la muerte

It could have been worse. The U.S. will open World Cup 2006 on Monday June 12 at 9am with FIFA World Ranked #2 Czech Republic. Then we get FIFA #12 Italy on Saturday June 17th at 9am followed by FIFA #50 Ghana. Since there are 3 teams in this group from the top 12, I, and many others, consider this "the group of death" where one really good team will be eliminated. Although this will be a tough group for the U.S. to get out of, I think it can and will happen. My logic is full of problems I know, but here goes.

In qualifying, the U.S. played close with Mexico in Azteca, where Mexico is nearly invincible. However, in Columbus the U.S. completely shut down Mexico to assure ourselves a spot in the 2006 cup. Now, Mexico beat a full (I think) Brazilian side early in the group stage in the Confederations Cup, a tournament in which Brazil beat Argentina in the final. So my logic is this: if the U.S. can dominate a team like Mexico that beat clear #1 Brazil then we can beat anybody. Yes, I know. I took logic and can see the slippery slope or whatever else you want to call it, but my point is, the US has become a force to be reckoned with. We may not win the cup this time around, but its in the cards.

And if we get 2nd in our group we will likely face Brazil in the round of 16, so I think winning would be a grand idea since that would likely give us either Croatia, Australia or Japan, all of which we should beat. If that were to happen then we would probably get France, Spain, or Ukraine. They are all tough too, even Ukraine, who I think may beat Spain in their group. If then, we beat that team, which would be beyond all of my expectations, we would like see Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, Portugal, or maybe Mexico (although I would bet on the first three. However, that would be a semifinal, which would be outrageous for the US to be in. Anyways, if you stuck with me through all of that then you are a true champion. Of what? I don't know.

Needless to say, my brain will be ready to explode between June 9 and July 29th. World Cup ends just in time for me to have about 2 1/2 weeks recovery time before my wedding, which is the only thing I am looking forward to right now more than World Cup.

1 comment:

Pete said...

How is it that the most powerful country in the world fears countries like Mexico and the Ukraine when it comes to soccer? Its a rhetorical questions. USA USA USA USA USA USA USA! (Thats a chant.)