But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Today's List - 9/30

1. Went to a dinner last night with other people that watch/listen to Wine Library TV. I know how nerdy that sounds, but it was pretty fun, the food was awesome, and I got to try about 20 different wines (most from Spain). A local restaurant - Red, White, and Bluezz - hosted the event. Russ, the manager, set us up with a great 5-course meal and even opened up a 1963 Cockburn's Port. Check the place out.

2. The oldest chef at the restaurant last night was 23. No kidding. We met the executive chef and he may have been 22-23. I'm old.

3. Pete made me play Grand Theft Auto at his place the other night. I enjoyed beating people with a pimp cane. However, I shudder to think that my high school students play a game like this one.

4. I may be making guest appearances over at Life Outside the Rat Race.

5. The U.S. women took 3rd place at the World Cup. I have a few thoughts about this. First, their coach is an idiot. He changed keepers for the semi-final because he thought that the back-up would do better against Brazil's style. The main starter had 300+ consecutive scoreless minutes (3+ games). Second, I think the U.S. became the world power in women's soccer purely because we let them play. Our ladies kicked ass because they had superb technical skill. Now teams like Germany and Brazil not only show technical skill but incredible creativity. Until we stop playing boring technical soccer we will never again compete with teams like Brazil.

6. Newt Gingrich announced that he is not running for President. I'm not sure its really that final. On the other hand, I think he's probably scared of getting torn apart for his abrasive personality and past decisions.

7. I didn't get anywhere close to drunk last night. I tasted a lot of wine, but dumped a lot out as well. Still, red wine can really fuck your head the next morning. Today I was prepared. I bought some Vitamin Water yesterday. Its called "Revive" and it hints that its good for hangovers. My headache was gone pretty quick AND it tastes pretty good.

8. Visiting the niece today. Excited.

9. Fall weather has arrived. Early fall is my favorite time for weather. Lots of people look to venture back out into the world after the heat of the summer. Was it just me or was summer not too bad this year? In any case, today looks to be pretty nice too.

10. Just started listening to Smodcast, the podcast by Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier (writer/director and producer of Clerks et al). Its like listening to a more vulgar version of Pete and Randy Moe having a conversation. I laughed out loud many times and highly recommend it. They do swear a lot thought - so no kids.

11. Based on what I learned at my conference I can tell you that we don't need the stupid cowards that run our various governments to make positive changes in our environment. The market is doing more than they ever could. And by "the market" I mean you and me. When you call your power company and tell them that you want more renewable energy resources and are willing to pay a little extra to get it, they generally listen. The person we talked to at Pasadena Water and Power guessed that their energy would be coal-free by 2030. I know that sounds far away, but it really isn't. If you are interested to hear more about this ask me when you see me in person.

12. New "The Office" was pretty funny. Excited about the new season.

2 comments:

Pete said...

Made you Play GTA? I don't think so but I'll take the blame anyway.

Randy said...

Ah...non vulger conversations with Pete. Those were the days.