But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Monday, November 14, 2005

Beer...is there anything it can't do?

So I am at the 6740, which is a bar in downtown Whittier that my Galaxy Supporters Group hangs out. MLS Cup and I'm anxious as hell. Anxious enough that the nachos and fish-n-chips are causing me to feel like I am going to vomit at any moment. So I stop drinking John Courage and turn to Sprite around halftime. At that point, the Galaxy turn from a team that is creating great opportunities to score to a team that is living in their own defensive end, at least most of the time. I begin to think "While I had beer they were playing strong attacking soccer, now without beer they are bogged down with desparate long balls in a 0-0 draw headed for overtime." So, in complete disregard of my bowels, I order a Bud Light in a strange blue aluminum bottle since it is only $2. It arrives about halfway into the first overtime period. Literally 15 seconds later we score. Result:



1-0 to the Galaxy in overtime. US Open Cup + MLS Cup = double for my Galaxy.

Plus, we went to the pirate store in Whittier called Pirate's n' Plunder. No kidding. An entire store dedicated to pirates. My friend bought a onesy (sp?) for his 1-year-old that says "poopdeck" on the butt.

In any case, I give complete credit to beer for this victory to beer. Well, that and to Amanda, who left to the landry-room before the goal was scored. And maybe a little credit for Pando Ramirez, notching his first non-PK goal as a member of the Galaxy (after 62 consecutive unsuccessful shots.

No comments: