But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Friday, November 25, 2005

A tribute to a great footballer


Former Manchester United soccer legend George Best died earlier this afternoon in London at the age of 59. (Obit from ManU site here) Although best known for his successes on the field, Best was also known around the world as one of the beautiful game's greatest characters. Unfortunately, it was the drinking part of this character that ultimately led to his demise.

Best was the key in re-building a ManU club that was torn apart in 1958 when 7 players were killed in plane crash in Munich. During his first season ManU reclaimed the league title and also took the European Cup in 1968. His native Northern Ireland also capped best 37 times for their national side.

Although I hate Manchester United and all they stand for with the heat of a thousand burning suns, George Best was one of the best in the world at this game and that is something that I admire.

Some good George Best quotes:

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered."

"I used to go missing a lot...Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World..."

(On David Beckham) "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."

"If I had been born ugly, you would never have heard of Pele"

"In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life."

No comments: