But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Monday, November 21, 2005

Ranting on a few things of dire importance

I have a lot I want to mention briefly, so here you go:

1. I enjoy reading blogs written by other people I know. My friend Bob has a blog. Besides being a preacher and university professor, Bob is an avid Galaxy fan and is a member of the LA Riot Squad Supporters Group. We drove Bob's mini-van to San Jose for the playoff defeat of the lame-ass Earthquakes.

2. If you miss hearing something different on the radio, listen to KCRW's Morning Become Eclectic. Mostly Indie-type rock, but they often venture into dance, hip-hop, etc. KCRW is 89.9 in most parts but they also stream.

3. LA mayor Antonio Villaraigosa (sp?) came to the Galaxy championship celebration yesterday at the Home Depot Center. I'm not sure where I stand with his politics, but he seems like a funny guy. At one point he mentioned that the Riot Squad seemed like it had a few beers.

4. KOST 103.5 FM has already switched to playing only Christmas music. A lot of people think that this is too early. I, however, love it. Maybe I am biased since I am a big fan of Christmas, but I think we are at a point in this country where a little of the old-fashioned (not commercial) Christmas spirit could do us a lot of good. And, despite being a practicing Christian, I don't have a problem with the secularization of Christmas. I like the positive energy. Easter is a much bigger deal to Christians anyways.

5. My long awaited Evil Twin of William Jennings Bryan Douchebag of the Week #2: That lady who sued McDonald's so many years ago for the burns she suffered from spilling hot coffee on herself. "But Jeff, that was so long ago!?!" Yes, but she is now suing a Dunkin' DOnuts for the same thing. I guess her cardboard carrying case fell over on her. Her attorney actually said that it burned her skin off. In any case, this lady needs to switch to iced drinks because clearly the concept of HOT is beyond her.

That's all for today. Please feel free to nominate people for the EToWJB DotW. I will take your nominations into consideration.

1 comment:

Pete said...

3. When mayor Villaraigosa came to the Pasadena Center (same event as Reverend Bacon) He made an effort to shake all the banquet staff's hands on his way to the Podium, which I thought was cool. But then he mentioned that thats what he did in his speech, so then I thought he was just politicking. Which kind of dissappointed me.

4. I also am a big fan of Christmas Time, except for the shopping. But I think KOST 103 should be tried for War Crimes for playing Feliz Navidad 100,000 times from November til Christmas.

I nominate Vice President Dick Cheney for DBOTW. His Douchebagness is reaching Emperor Palpatine levels, where he is so evil, you almost want to say: "right on, get down with your bad self" With the lowest approval ratings since first being elected, something like 28%, he has the audacity to call Senate democrats now opposing the Iraq war: "Reprehensible and irresponsible". This from the man who blatantly and frequently ties Saddam Hussein to 911 in the face of absolutely no evidence.