But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Monday, January 23, 2006

I'm sorry for bad-mouthing you DMV

Jokes about how long it takes to get something done at the DMV are generally widespread in popular culture, but I dare say that these jokes are unfounded. I went to the DMV today, without an appointment, and successfully renewed my license in about 30 minutes, which I consider a short time to wait. Here is my theory why it takes people a long time to get things done at the DMV:

1. They are instructionally challenged. During my short time there, at least two people got up from the waiting room wondering how to get a number...after having waited in a chair for at least 5 minutes. Others came in wondering where the line started, despite the 3 HUGE signs saying "LINE STARTS HERE."

2. They have no clue about anything. One guy wandered around looking for Window 11. Window 10 was at the end of the main set of windows and Window 11 was just around the corner. Also, there was a sign that read "Windows 11-17" and had an arrow pointing the direction (see reason #1)

3. They spend so much time complaining about their 5 minutes waiting that they don't hear their number called and don't notice that there is a TV in the waiting room showing the last ten numbers called and where these people should report to.

4. The DMV has a special set of numbers for assholes and bitches. These people yell because the person at the window expects them to wait again after waiting 3 minutes to get a number. I believe these people are actually given numbers starting with B since I had #G170 and only waited maybe 10 minutes for my number to be called. The lady sitting in front of me was complaining endlessly on her cell phone and had #B184. They were on #B162 when I got called.

In short, I feel like the DMV has become a pretty efficient place. It should be since there were like 300 people working there. However, I had a great experience there, despite the general feeling that the place was crawling with germs.

1 comment:

Pete said...

yes, but who is the douchebag of the week?