But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Monday, January 09, 2006

What to watch for in the near future

There are some big deal on the horizon that I think people need to look out for:

1. Supreme Court confirmation hearings on Samuel Alito. This guy makes Bush look like Michael Moore. OK, maybe that's a bit much, but he is pretty conservative. Many fear that he will want to reverse Roe v. Wade. Let me go on the record saying that I'm not the hugest fan of abortion, but I am also a fan of free choice. Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like once these justices get on the bench they will follow the law and not their particular beliefs. I encourage you to read Alito's responses. Well, listening would be better, but then you would have to hear Arlen Specter speak and his voice is irritating.

2. State of the Union: This is supposed to happen January 31st. I may have a viewing party. I know that sounds lame, but I like to have people to complain with and I also like to have an excuse to have a few drinks on a Tuesday night. This one could be entertaining depending on how #1 goes and how this spying thing and the Jack Abramoff thing works out.

3. Israel: This unfortunate fellow is pretty much a goner as far as running his country goes. It looks like he'll live, but with limited function. Although some argue that there will be repercussions very soon, I think we'll have to wait a while before we see the effects of his leaving the position. (I will not stoop so low as to make Dick Clark jokes here).

4. Jack Abramoff: In my year-end summaryI predicted that there would be a member of the Bush Administration that would get busted pretty big. Little did I know they would indulge me so quickly. I think its really funny that the White House is trying to find any pictures of Bush with this guyand trying to come up with reasons for each of his visits to the White House. In fact, if you have a picture of Bush with Abramoff I'm guessing you could get six figures for them right now. Again, this is one that will take a little more time to come to fruition, but there are a lot of sweaty members of Congress and members of the administration these days.

Anyways, that's what has been on my mind today. Well, that and teaching my classes.

The Douchebag of the Week is coming - I promise!!

1 comment:

Lauri said...

A viewing party would be awesome.