But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Thursday, January 26, 2006

A mix of mixes

I hate trail mix. However, I love trek mix. The difference? I'm not really sure, but Trader Joe's has something called "simply cranberries, cashews and almonds trek mix." Its good eating. I know, cashews are not the healthiest member of the nut family, but there are more almonds than cashews. I highly recommend it. I have this bag in my classroom that I grab a handful of after 5th period to carry me through 6th, which is my worst class.

Student comment of the day:
Jose: "Mr. Austin, why are you so hard on people?"
Me: "Jose, you have a 7% in this class and I just want you to do something. I'm not hard on students that are passing"
Jose: "Do you think I could pass this class when I re-take it next year"
Me: "Well, you couldn't do worse"
Jose: "I could get 6%"
Me: "Well, at least you have goals"
Jose: "What does that mean?"

Sometimes I'm not a very nice teacher.

2 comments:

Lauri said...

Oh My God! The kicker of it all is that he already plans to take the class again, not try to improve in this one. I mean...WOW!(that's Sheila and my theme this week here at work...wow!)

Jeff said...

Well, we only have 2 days left so at 7% he's done.