But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Monday, August 22, 2005

Questioning my own masculinity

I decided to try out this soccer group that plays at Arroyo Seco Park (?) that I found on the internet. First of all, this may be the most bizarre park ever. There is a racquetball club there, which I have never seen in my life. The tees at the golf course are fake-grass mats with pre-placed rubber tees. The tunnel I drive through to get to the field is painted with all kinds of Girl Scout murals. It smells like horses.

On the website, they describe the session as on hour of "training" with a coach followed by a one-hour scrimmage. It is open to guys and girls of any skill level. When I get there I realize that I am going to be one of maybe 4 guys and 20 or so women. The women are every age from 20 to 50+. And if any of you are on the prowl (which I, of course, am not) there are some really good looking women there, not the old ones either. Now before you talk shit, I already told my fiance that there were some hot chicks there. The guy-to-girl ratio does not bother me because I am here to work out and improve my skills.

Next you are expecting me to say that these chicks schooled me, but that was not the case. I held my own despite being terribly out of shape and managed some strong plays and made some good runs that were never recognized by those with the ball, but at least Bolanji (the coach) noticed. So until my knee acted up I was doing really good, running around and all. I had some ligament damage from stepping in a whole running down a foul ball playing softball maybe 5 years ago. My point is that despite turning 28 tomorrow I have conquered my feeling old problem from yesterday.

Tomorrow's Birthday Schedule
8:00 wake up, go for walk while listening to Kevin and Bean
9:15 shower, make myself pretty
10:00 birthday breakfast (probably just cereal and coffee)
10:30 read? plan for school? wait for Office Max to deliver my new digital camera (b-day present)
12:30 watch MLS Select vs. Real Madrid
3:00 clean apartment
5:30 fiance coming over to make me dinner (she's practicing for married life - I'll make her take her shoes off)
after that its a crapshoot - maybe go get some beers, maybe watch a Pay-Per-View movie, maybe watch some of the Simpsons Season 4 DVD I just got (yes, I am still 2 seasons behind.), who knows, but I am of the belief that since it is my birthday I can just sit around the apartment and play soccer video games all night if that is what I wish. It may not seem like the most exciting day to you (except the homemade dinner that might be a delicious casserole), but I am terribly excited.

Final Question: What do people wish for when they blow the candles out on their cake? Have you ever had a wish come true? One time I wished for a really big piece of cake just so I wouldn't be disappointed.

4 comments:

Pete said...

One time I wished for immortality and so far it has come true. Im gonna wish for it again on Friday when I shall be selling my birthday, just to re-iterate.

Pete said...

why did I say "selling" I menat celebrating. Weird. Im just hooked on phonics I guess.

Pete said...

Damn I suck at typing.

Lauri said...

There Pete goes again, cracking me up, LOL.