But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

You always look forward to summer until its here

All school-year long I look forward to summer. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and don't come anywhere close to dreading it, but its nice to pretend that you are rich and don't have to work to get a paycheck. You have these dreams of reading a while, going to the gym, and getting things done that I won't have time or energy to do during the school year. Then it turns out that you sleep until noon, have a burrito for breakfast because its already lunchtime, watch some Jerry Springer, take a nap, read for five minutes and then get nothing done.

My summer has been somewhere in the middle of those two scenarios. I rarely sleep past 7:30 and never past 9:00. I actually eat a normal breakfast, although I found out why I stopped eating Raisin Bran when I was 10 - its really nasty. Then I often do watch a little Jerry. I'm not sure why. Today's Jerry was about people getting caught cheating on their spouses, tomorrow is probably about transvestites, then Thursday will be siblings that are sleeping with eachother. Friday we go back to cheating spouses and start the cycle all over again. Believe it or not, my afternoon actually does involve a trip to the gym. After this its a crapshoot. Often I'll read in a coffeeshop, sometimes watch TV, usually spend time with my future wife since I won't see her for 8 months once the school year starts again. (not really, but it often feels like it). Notice that nowhere in this itinerary do I actually get anything done.

Here is what has killed my summer: the heat, FIFA 2005 on my computer, this blog, HBO on demand episodes of Entourage, Fox Soccer Channel, not wanting to shave, a reasonably comfortable couch at my apartment, and a ridiculously comfortable couch at my fiance's apartment. Hopefully, however, I will conquer these issues tomorrow, but not likely.

2 comments:

Lauri said...

I don't know Jeff, it sounds like a sweet deal to me. I'd give anything to do nothing Mon-Fri. There have been times i sit at work freaking out cuz i'm thinking of all the stuff i could be doing. At least you have four months off.

Jeff said...

Don't get me wrong, its nice having the time off. I only get 1 full month off since I do summer school through most of July and I'm due back at Sylmar at the end of August. I just wish i could be more productive during the summer.